Commitment to Diversity
Our firm is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women attorneys and staff personnel from all backgrounds. We recognize that it is the outstanding people of Murtha who are the source of our strength and the firm's greatest assets. We have long embraced the principles of equal employment opportunity. Promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for excellence as individual attorneys and as a firm. We recognize this, and our clients demand that we maintain a diverse workforce.
As part of the effort to advance our commitment to diversity throughout the firm, the following initiatives, among others, are being pursued:
- Improvement of the level of diversity within the firm's leadership positions, firm committees and practice development efforts.
- Development of an attorney and senior administrative manager evaluation process to review and recognize the contributions made by our attorneys and department chairs to advance the firm's efforts to fulfill our commitment to diversity as set forth in this message.
- Emphasis of the firm's long-standing policy that encourages reporting of any discrimination or harassment based on sex, race, national origin or other protected status.
- Participation in opportunities outside the firm to explore diversity initiatives underway with clients, community organizations, bar associations and minority organizations that share this common objective.
- Strong efforts toward recruiting of excellent minority and women attorneys and law students.
- Emphasis on retention and advancement of minority and women attorneys.
The Diversity Committee works closely with the Executive Committee, Recruiting Committee and Associates Committee to carry out these and other initiatives to help strengthen diversity throughout the firm.
In addition to our internal diversity initiatives, the firm and our attorneys are committed to supporting diversity in the legal community:
- Murtha was one of the first Connecticut firms to subscribe to the CT Bar Association's Pledge of Gender Equity.
- We are a CT member of the Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity, with two attorneys holding leadership positions.
- We are an MA member of the Boston Lawyers Group, a collaboration of law firms supporting diversity, and one of our attorneys holds a leadership position.
- We are a founding member of The Connecticut Alliance for Business Opportunities (CABO), the state's first and only Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Chamber of Commerce.
Quae Vide Newsletter