Download Bio PDF
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- University of Connecticut Law School (J.D., with honors, 1986)
- Georgetown University (B.A., 1978)
Alfred E. Smith, Jr.
Al Smith is a former managing partner of the firm and now serves as Chair of the Regulatory Department. Mr. Smith practices in the areas of environmental and municipal law. He has extensive experience in all areas of environmental law. He regularly advises clients with respect to regulatory compliance issues and in connection with environmental issues associated with real estate and corporate transactions. Mr. Smith has written and spoken on many environmental law issues including the impact of bankruptcy proceedings, fiduciary liability under environmental laws, employee and community “right-to-know,” air quality and “Brownfields” redevelopment. He regularly counsels municipal clients in matters ranging from governance to finance and land use. He also has devoted substantial time in representing clients in the development, permitting, and operation of energy generating facilities including those using fossil fuels, refuse and renewable sources. Mr. Smith is a former adjunct professor at the University of New Haven Graduate School, where he taught environmental law.
Mr. Smith has served as a member of the Town Plan and Zoning Commission of the Town of Woodbridge, and was Chair of the Charter Revision Commission.
- Connecticut Bar Association; Environmental Law Section, Secretary 1998-1999, Vice-Chair 1999-2000, Chair 2000-2001, Executive Committee 1993-;
- New Haven County Bar Association; Environmental Law Committee, Secretary 1990-1992, Vice-Chair 1992-1993, Chair 1993-1994; Recycling Committee Chair 1990-1993;
- United Way of Greater New Haven; Board Chair, 2008 - 2011, Campaign Chair 2005, Board Vice-Chair 2006-2008
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law
- Listed as leading environment lawyer in Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners-Publishing (ChambersandPartners.com)