Download Bio PDF
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- Boston University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- Bates College (B.A., 1997)
Derek T. Werner
Mr. Werner is a partner in the litigation department and practices construction law. Mr. Werner represents general contractors, construction managers, design-builders, subcontractors, owners, and design professionals. This representation has included the negotiation and drafting of construction and architectural contracts, consultation in connection with the preparation of claims, securing rights under mechanic's lien statutes and payment bonds, and the litigation and arbitration of construction disputes. Projects in which he has been involved include the construction and renovation of public and private schools, health care facilities, and commercial developments.
- "Ninth Circuit Holds that a Subcontractor Must Pay Sales Tax for a Project on Indian Land," Construction Lawyer (2009).
- Speaker, "A Primer on Connecticut Mechanic's Lien from Filing to Foreclosure," Connecticut Bar Association (February 2008).
- Speaker, "Legislative Developments," Connecticut Bar Association's annual Construction Law Updates (2006 through 2010).
- "Public Use, Common Sense, and Takings," 10 B.U. Pub. Int. L.J. 335 (Spring 2001). cited in Kelo v. City of New London, 268 Conn. 1 (2004).
- Connecticut Bar Association, Construction Law Section Executive Committee
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Hartford County Bar Association
- Past Chair, Connecticut Bar Association Young Lawyers' Construction Law Committee