Download Bio PDF
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- Hofstra University (J.D., 1983)
- Wesleyan University (B.A., 1978)
Marilyn B. Fagelson
Ms. Fagelson is Chair of the firm’s Insurance Recovery Practice Group and works principally on complex commercial litigation, insurance coverage on behalf of policyholders, and appellate practice. She has represented policyholders seeking coverage for claims involving a variety of subject areas including asbestos and environmental injuries, legal malpractice, sexual abuse, health care, property damage, products liability, automobile accidents, unfair trade practices and antitrust. Ms. Fagelson has secured coverage of defense and indemnity under many types of policies, including commercial general liability, errors and omissions, malpractice, property, homeowners, automobile, health care, title and crime policies. She is a member of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association and she is Vice Chair of the Insurance Section of the Connecticut Bar Association.
Ms. Fagelson also handles other types of complex commercial disputes, including antitrust and unfair trade practice claims, breach of contract and various business tort cases. Ms. Fagelson has represented clients in arbitration, administrative proceedings and in state and federal courts. Ms. Fagelson has tried cases to verdict and argued appeals. She also has resolved matters through mediation and informal settlement discussions. Ms. Fagelson is a member of the Federal Practice Section of the Connecticut Bar Association.
Prior to joining Murtha Cullina LLP, Ms. Fagelson practiced in New York where she handled both state and federal commercial litigation, primarily in the areas of antitrust and intellectual property.
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Connecticut Bar Association, the Insurance Law Section (Vice Chair) and the Federal Practice Section
- New Haven County Bar Association
- New Haven Inn of Court
- Law Clerk for the Hon. Donna F. Martinez, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Connecticut District Court, 1995-1997
- Law Clerk for the Hon. David F. Jordan, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of New York, 1983-1984
- Hofstra Law Review, 1981-1983
- Connecticut Anti-Defamation League, Civil Rights Committee
- Lawyers for Children America
- "Symposium on Claims Handling: Rights, Wrongs and Remedies," Connecticut Bar Association, February 2015
- “Insurance Coverage 101 – Commercial General Liability Policies,” Connecticut Bar Association/Connecticut Bar Institute, January, 2014
- “Storm Law: Snow, Hurricanes, Earthquakes, What’s Next? Insurance and Other Resources Explored,” Moderator, Connecticut Bar Association, January, 2012
- “Business Interruption Insurance – Causation,” Connecticut Bar Association, January, 2010
- In addition to speaking on insurance recovery issues, Ms. Fagelson regularly provides training to clients, colleagues and professional organizations on subjects including the fundamentals of state and federal antitrust laws and electronic discovery.
- “Reaching Excess Layers of Insurance: Should Policyholders Be Permitted to Fill ‘Gap' So Extra Coverage Will Kick In?,” Connecticut Law Tribune, Vol. 40, No. 6, February 2014