Our Firm is committed to strengthening our diversity and inclusion efforts through recruiting and retaining minority and women attorneys and staff personnel from all backgrounds. We recognize that it is the outstanding people of Murtha Cullina who are the source of our strength and the Firm’s greatest assets. Promoting diversity and inclusion is an integral component of our quest for excellence, and we look for the same among our suppliers, just as our clients do to us.
As part of the effort to advance our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we pursue the following initiatives, among others:
- Improvement of the level of diversity and inclusion within the Firm’s leadership positions, Firm committees and practice development efforts.
- Development of an attorney and senior administrative manager evaluation process to review and recognize the contributions made by our attorneys and department chairs to advance the Firm’s efforts to fulfill our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Emphasis of the Firm’s long standing policy that encourages reporting of any discrimination or harassment based on sex, race, national origin or other protected status.
- Participation in opportunities outside the Firm to explore diversity and inclusion initiatives underway with clients, community organizations, bar associations and minority organizations that share this common objective.
- Strong efforts toward recruiting of excellent minority and women attorneys and law students.
- Emphasis on retention and advancement of minority and women attorneys.
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee works closely with the Executive Committee, Recruiting Committee and Associates Committee to carry out these and other initiatives to help strengthen diversity and inclusion throughout the Firm.
In addition to our internal diversity and inclusion initiatives, the Firm and our attorneys are committed to supporting diversity in the legal community:
- In the Fall of 2014, Murtha Cullina became the new host office for Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity (LCD). Click here to learn more about LCD.
- Murtha Cullina was one of the first Connecticut firms to subscribe to the CT Bar Association’s Pledge of Gender Equity.
- We are an MA member of the Boston Lawyers Group, a collaboration of law firms supporting diversity, and one of our attorneys holds a leadership position.
- We are a founding member of The Connecticut Alliance for Business Opportunities (CABO), the state’s first and only Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Chamber of Commerce.
Our attorneys are also members of the:
- Connecticut Black Bar Association
- Connecticut Hispanic Bar Association
- Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford Legal and Tax Panel
- South Asian Bar Association
Above the Law has awarded Murtha Cullina LLP with an “A” rating for gender diversity in its 2016 ATL Law Firm Gender Diversity Database, which categorized every lawyer in the top 1,200 law firms in the United States.
The data compared the total number of attorneys, percentage of female attorneys, percentage of female associates, percentage of female partners, and percentage of female promotions from associate to partner at each of the 1,200 firms and was collected between 2014 and 2015.