As a mid-size, regional, full-service firm, every lawyer here matters and makes meaningful contributions each day. Our close-knit culture focuses on delivering high-value service to clients while providing our lawyers with personal and professional benefits larger firms are unable to match such as:
- One-on-one mentoring relationships with partners and counsel
- A flexible technology infrastructure
- A commitment to your career growth from the day you arrive
- Early assignments as a key team member in litigation or transactional matters
- Comprehensive training and continuing education opportunities
- Recognition for contributions to the firm’s success
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A warm, collegial and entrepreneurial work environment
- Ample opportunities for professional development and growth
- Ability to work directly with clients, enabling you to learn and develop the critical skills needed to be a successful lawyer
We want our firm to reflect at all levels the many communities in which we and our clients live and serve. We strive not only to recruit the best legal talent from all backgrounds, but also to develop and promote a more inclusive pool of lawyers at all levels of the firm.
Murtha Cullina's multifaceted practice is particularly well suited to foster the professional growth and development of new associates. The breadth of our client base provides associates with opportunities to work closely with more experienced lawyers on complex matters and to enjoy primary responsibility for smaller and/or more routine matters. In this environment, associates learn the skills to develop the initiative and critical judgment necessary for effective client counseling, as well as what is required for a sophisticated legal practice. Major matters are handled by appropriately staffed client service teams; however, the more typical cases are managed by one partner and one associate.
Our associate training program reflects a balance between two goals: the early development of expertise in specific practice areas and the long-term development of a broad range of legal knowledge and skills.
Apart from the lawyer-to-lawyer instruction that takes place on the job, the firm places an emphasis on organized educational efforts. Seminars and training sessions are provided in-house, and associates also learn by helping to prepare materials and presentations for clients and potential clients of the firm. We encourage associates to attend (and serve as panel members for) outside seminars in their respective specialties, and the firm often sponsors such programs in conjunction with bar associations and industry groups. Associates also attend programs sponsored by PLI, PESI, NBI and other private organizations, many of which offer excellent opportunities for continuing legal education.
Partners of the firm devote substantial time to comprehensive annual reviews of each associate's performance. During the review meeting, the associate's strengths and areas of development are discussed. Associates may be involved in a number of firm committees, including Recruitment, Diversity and Associate Mentoring & Training.