Murtha Cullina’s Automotive Law practice represents automobile and truck dealers, as well as other businesses in the motor vehicle industry. We provide timely and thorough transactional and counseling services to our automotive clients and responsive, cost-effective representation in litigation matters. Attorneys in this practice also provide our clients with legal updates and preventative legal advice on a wide range of topics through periodic newsletters, articles and training seminars.
Lawyers in our Automotive Law practice have in-depth knowledge and understanding of the legal and business issues that dealers face in the motor vehicle industry. As a result of our years of experience representing dealers in actions against manufacturers, our attorneys have assisted the Massachusetts State Automobile Dealers Association over the years in drafting amendments to the Massachusetts automobile dealer franchise statute (Chapter 93B), that provides greater protection to automobile dealers, and simplifies the legal process dealers must go through when disputes arise under this statute.
In addition to experienced trial attorneys, our Automotive Law practice includes lawyers with experience in a variety of disciplines including labor and employment law, corporate, real estate, zoning, environmental, tax, estate and business planning.
Examples of the types of services our attorneys have provided to clients in the motor vehicle industry include:
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Representation of dealers in state and federal court actions involving dealer terminations, dealer protests, and other claims under the Massachusetts statute regulating business practices between manufacturers, distributors and dealers (Chapter 93B).
- Representation of dealers in a variety of claims under the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A) and Lemon Law.
- Representation of dealers in commercial disputes and arbitration proceedings involving claims for breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation.
- Representation of dealers and other businesses in the automotive industry in court actions and before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination in connection with sexual harassment and other discrimination complaints.
- Representation of an automobile dealer in an environmental insurance coverage matter.
Business Counseling & Representation in Transactional Matters
- Representation of dealers in dealership acquisitions, and drafting and enforcement of leases.
- Advice to dealers on general business matters including selection and creation of appropriate entities for business formation, shareholders and partnership agreements and buyouts, financing and limitation of liabilities, and general tax planning.
- Counseling of dealers and other businesses in the automotive industry on general labor and employment issues, compliance with wage and hour regulations, sexual harassment prevention and investigation, and review and drafting of employment policies and employee handbooks.
- Representation of dealers in real estate, environmental, zoning, land use and licensing matters.
- Estate planning and advice on generational transfers and successor planning for dealers and other clients in the motor vehicle industry.