- Represented Qualidigm in connection with a two-step collaboration with Maine Quality Counts beginning with a corporate affiliation and ending with a statutory merger.
- Represented District Innovation and Venture Center, Inc. in connection with its contractual collaboration with Holberton School.
- Represented Arc New London County in connection with its merger with Arc Quinebaug Valley.
- Represented three separate religious institutions in connection with statutory mergers.
- Reorganized a health care system, including securing all necessary tax rulings.
- Merged and liquidated one charitable entity into another.
- Issued tax exempt bonds for numerous schools, health care organizations and others.
- Represented charitable organizations before the Public Charities Unit of the Attorney General’s Office.
- Counseled charitable organizations on maximizing income-producing activities in a way which reduces exposure to unrelated business taxable income.
- Advised health care provider on avoiding the intermediate sanctions penalties.
- Developed programs for charitable organization which reduce or eliminate environmental risk for donated real estate.
- Established and secured tax exemption for a private foundation.
- Representation of private foundations regarding formation, governance, ongoing IRS compliance, and IRS approval of various grantmaking policies including equivalency determinations relating to international activities.
- Representation of public charities regarding expenditure responsibility grant arrangements with for-profit socially conscious organizations.
The Tax-Exempt Organizations practice at Murtha Cullina services the unique and diverse needs of tax-exempt organizations as well as their advisors and donors.
Our clients include social service providers, health care providers, private foundations, community foundations, social clubs, religious institutions, trade associations and advocacy organizations, among others. Attorneys in the Tax-Exempt Organizations practice have specialized knowledge of tax, corporate, governance, transactional, finance and planned giving issues. Moreover, these attorneys have cultivated a cultural familiarity with the tax-exempt sector through regular speaking engagements at educational conferences, volunteer service on boards of directors, and strategic alliances with associations such as The Alliance for Nonprofit Growth and Opportunity and the CT Community Nonprofit Alliance.
Areas of Focus
- Federal, State & Local Tax Exemption
- Financing & Project Development
- Formation, Governance & Reorganization
- Fundraising & Planned Giving
- Mergers, Affiliations & Strategic Collaborations
- Property Tax Exemption
- Unrelated Business Taxable Income & For-Profit Ventures