- Advised a Massachusetts-based home automation company in its 401(k) plan, cafeteria plan, health and employee welfare plans, plan corrections, and employment-related issues arising from mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented an automotive maintenance company in work related to its 401(k) plan, cafeteria plan, and health and employee welfare benefits. Also reviewed the company’s service provider contracts and advised on benefits related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented a senior living community on its employee 401(k) and retirement plans, cafeteria plan, health and employee welfare plans, and plan corrections.
- Counseled a senior living and rehabilitation facility on its 401(k), 403(b), 457(b) and 457(f) retirement plans, cafeteria plans, health and welfare plans, plan corrections and ACA compliance.
- Advised a regional water utility on matters related to 401(k), defined benefit, 457(b), 457(f) and other retirement plans as well as cafeteria plans, health and employee welfare plans, and employment benefit issues arising from mergers and acquisitions.
Melanie N. Aska brings more than three decades of experience in ERISA and employee benefit plans to her legal practice.
A member of the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice since 2018, Melanie works with clients of all sizes from the manufacturing, health care and nonprofit sectors.
Applying her keen understanding of the regulatory landscape that impacts plans offered by for-profit and tax-exempt employers, she guides clients in the design and implementation of retirement, flexible benefits and welfare benefit programs.
Melanie’s long tenure in the field allows her to quickly identify and solve issues that may arise during the operational stage, especially voluntary corrections, plan amendments, compliance reporting or other adjustments that may be prompted by competitive factors, regulatory changes, mergers, spinoffs or terminations.
Melanie brings in-depth experience in 401(k), 403(b), 457(b), 457(f) and defined benefit retirement plans; cafeteria plans; employee health and welfare benefit plans; ACA compliance; and review of service provider contracts. Her due diligence skills are frequently sought by clients involved in mergers or acquisitions.
Valued for her practical approach, reliability and responsiveness, Melanie recently helped a leading company in the home technology space seamlessly transition an acquired company’s employees into their workforce and integrate their employee benefit plans.
Melanie is an accomplished writer whose articles are regularly distributed in Murtha Cullina newsletters and client alerts. Since 1995, she has co-authored the Pension Distribution Answer Book, published by Wolters Kluwer, and written many articles on retirement plan-related topics for that publisher’s Journal of Pension Benefits.
- Presenter, “Year-End 2021 Employee Benefits Update,” Murtha Cullina Labor & Employment Webinar (September 22, 2021)
- Presenter, “Year-End 2020 Employee Benefits Update,” Murtha Cullina Labor & Employment Webinar (December 11, 2020)
- Presenter, “Year-End 2018 Employee Benefits Update,” Murtha Cullina Labor & Employment Webinar (November 13, 2018)
- Holds an AV Preeminent® Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Harvard University, senior benefits compliance officer
- Thomson Reuters/EBIA, senior editor and seminar speaker
- A Rhode Island employee benefits law firm, of counsel
- A Wisconsin-based law firm, shareholder and employee benefits practice group lead
- A global law firm, employee benefits associate