Download Bio PDF
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- University of Connecticut Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1990)
- College of the Holy Cross (B.A., 1985)
Michael J. Donnelly
Mr. Donnelly represents both public and private parties in connection with drafting of contracts, bid issues and dispute resolution in a wide variety of construction matters. He recently assisted a successful bidder in defending a challenge to a public bid for the purchase of municipal property, ultimately obtaining a written apology and a six-figure settlement on a vexatious litigation claim arising from the challenge. Mr. Donnelly has represented the owner with respect to contract negotiations for the construction of a 14.6 MW gas powered generator project. His dispute resolution experience includes jury and courtside trials, appeals, arbitration and mediation. He also successfully defended a $3,000,000+ mechanic’s lien case in Federal Court. In addition to obtaining a decision for the defense on the plaintiff’s claims, he obtained a decision in the client’s favor for more than $1,000,000 on a counterclaim.
His experience also includes prosecuting and defending claims under the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (“CUTPA”); litigating allegations of false advertising, trademark infringement, and breach of contract; and pursuing insurance coverage for clients who find themselves involved in litigation. He has also enjoyed being called upon to assist clients in protecting their interests by filing and collecting on aircraft liens.
Mr. Donnelly also represents both for profit and nonprofit entities in litigation over environmental issues. He recently obtained summary judgment with respect to claims that surface water runoff from his client’s property had caused significant erosion on a neighbor’s property, and then successfully defended that summary judgment on appeal.
He was recognized as the “2011 Supplier/Service Provider of the Year” by the Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Connecticut. He is the immediate past Chair of the Lex Mundi Construction and Infrastructure Group. Mr. Donnelly attended the College of the Holy Cross where he earned his B.A., and graduated cum laude from the University of Connecticut School of Law.
- October 2013 - CBA Construction Section Meeting - Speaker on Managing Risk for Connecticut Construction Companies in re: Capstone Bldng Corp. v. American Motorists Ins. Co., SC 18886, 2013 Conn. LEXIS 187 (2013).
- June 2012 - CBA Annual Meeting - Speaker on Insuring Construction Risks – Hot Topics Related to Construction Defect Claims.
- Chairman (2010-2012), Lex Mundi Construction and Infrastructure Practice Group
- Connecticut Bar Association, Construction Law Executive Committee
- Association of General Contractors- Connecticut
- Connecticut Construction Industry Association
- Board of Trustees, Connecticut Chapter of The Nature Conservancy
- 2011 Supplier/Service Provider of the Year, Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Connecticut
- American Bar Association award for excellence in the study of Land Use and Local Development